When the car stops we are beginning already to become road.
A little taken apart and buried, the way birds, leaves
become road. Become road beneath
the burying of cars. All become driven over,
all become under. Even weather is taken
a little apart and buried. That we have been hit tonight
is relief; we no longer need to wonder when. Pain becomes
a story we will tell you years from now.
Sound becomes the dream you’ll nurse us from.
For now we are a passenger belted in
to the happening, looking back
at our tame furred moon. On our way home
the night had been too pleasant: rows and rows
of blue glass jars like the BFG’s jars
of dreams: the night was too pleasant
for what we had done. As we cycled uphill
the person we once were was cycling downhill
and each exhalation pushed us further apart.
Before we got hit we saw the shadows of trees
become road. Then the trees. A woman walking
a dachshund through the trees became road.
We saw the dog’s eyes glinting in the road.
The shine of his leash, caught in the road.
We heard voices in the trees become road, and the sound
of someone’s phone ringing in the trees become road.
As traffic clears, the road softens and takes us
deep in its arms, which though hard, accommodate
everyone. Early morning, as the road begins
its upward surge we hear footsteps nearing
from somewhere inside the road, as if
we have been recognised.
- RT @ursulaleguin: The family of Ursula K. Le Guin is deeply saddened to announce her peaceful death yesterday afternoon. https://t.co/DC7oy… 4 hours ago
- Joke's on this guy! I already have quite bad self-esteem and am constantly looking for ways in which to worsen it!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @golrizghahraman: I love this so much. From the woman/mother/prime minister bit, to the dads can very happily primary care-give bit. So… 5 days ago
- RT @_ZETTELER_: Font and type specialists @Monotype discuss the legacy of type designer Berthold Wolpe with the @FaberBooks art department… 5 days ago
- RT @sarahwedde: I like being able to talk with people in a way that I can cope with and find bearable rather than have no human interaction… 5 days ago