When the car stops we are beginning already to become road.
A little taken apart and buried, the way birds, leaves
become road. Become road beneath
the burying of cars. All become driven over,
all become under. Even weather is taken
a little apart and buried. That we have been hit tonight
is relief; we no longer need to wonder when. Pain becomes
a story we will tell you years from now.
Sound becomes the dream you’ll nurse us from.
For now we are a passenger belted in
to the happening, looking back
at our tame furred moon. On our way home
the night had been too pleasant: rows and rows
of blue glass jars like the BFG’s jars
of dreams: the night was too pleasant
for what we had done. As we cycled uphill
the person we once were was cycling downhill
and each exhalation pushed us further apart.
Before we got hit we saw the shadows of trees
become road. Then the trees. A woman walking
a dachshund through the trees became road.
We saw the dog’s eyes glinting in the road.
The shine of his leash, caught in the road.
We heard voices in the trees become road, and the sound
of someone’s phone ringing in the trees become road.
As traffic clears, the road softens and takes us
deep in its arms, which though hard, accommodate
everyone. Early morning, as the road begins
its upward surge we hear footsteps nearing
from somewhere inside the road, as if
we have been recognised.
- RT @pacificraft: Creative NZ cutting and cutting. Whatever happened to this supposedly Arts-supporting Labour-led government? https://t.co/… 8 hours ago
- RT @TinaMakereti: Terrible outcome from @CreativeNZ arts grants and not the only one this week. Arts grants system too ad hoc for important… 9 hours ago
- I’ve made a terrible mistake, I remembered just earlier that I was meant to go to a lunch on Tuesday with, uhh, Camilla Parker Bowles 1 day ago
- This is one of the best author photos I have ever seen, of @FreyaDalySad at Carlucci Land, by Ebony Lamb vup.victoria.ac.nz/freya-daly-sad… 2 days ago
- Sometimes I just think, the car truly is the asshole’s vehicle of choice 2 days ago