When the car stops we are beginning already to become road.
A little taken apart and buried, the way birds, leaves
become road. Become road beneath
the burying of cars. All become driven over,
all become under. Even weather is taken
a little apart and buried. That we have been hit tonight
is relief; we no longer need to wonder when. Pain becomes
a story we will tell you years from now.
Sound becomes the dream you’ll nurse us from.
For now we are a passenger belted in
to the happening, looking back
at our tame furred moon. On our way home
the night had been too pleasant: rows and rows
of blue glass jars like the BFG’s jars
of dreams: the night was too pleasant
for what we had done. As we cycled uphill
the person we once were was cycling downhill
and each exhalation pushed us further apart.
Before we got hit we saw the shadows of trees
become road. Then the trees. A woman walking
a dachshund through the trees became road.
We saw the dog’s eyes glinting in the road.
The shine of his leash, caught in the road.
We heard voices in the trees become road, and the sound
of someone’s phone ringing in the trees become road.
As traffic clears, the road softens and takes us
deep in its arms, which though hard, accommodate
everyone. Early morning, as the road begins
its upward surge we hear footsteps nearing
from somewhere inside the road, as if
we have been recognised.
- RT @winstonpeters: Tweets on Winston Peters NZ politician 13 hours ago
- RT @eamonnmarra: The man at subway got so excited when i asked for the tomato to be put in the sub before it was toasted, and said "this is… 15 hours ago
- I'll be in Masterton tomorrow for this event w Damien Wilkins! The plan is, we will talk about things, like two jok… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 18 hours ago
- Nightmarish twitter.com/sebastianboyle… 1 day ago
- RT @petergraczer: GIVE IT UP FOR YOUR NEW PRIME MINISTER #decision17 https://t.co/uvlxnC5NqL 1 day ago