I was cleaning up my desktop while avoiding writing my column, and I came across this old photo of Jerry. It’s him at the vet’s in July 2014 after he’d been hit by a car. Not pictured is his big shaved bottom, which took the impact. He came to the Waikanae SPCA as a flea-ridden stray when he was about five (though, his age is a guess). I often wonder what his life was like before. I feel jealous of this other life he must have had. Sometimes I imagine his old family turning up and he runs towards them, overjoyed – like in that video with Christian the lion in Kenya, in the 1970s – then they pick him up and bundle him into their car and speed away, brakes screeching. Jerry turns eleven soon. He’s just a really good cat.
- This is rare but sometimes when I’m reading a manuscript, I get so excited that I can’t sit still and have to stop… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- RT @blgtylr: A lesson I have to learn over and over again despite how painful it is every single time: I am the writer I am, and wanting to… 4 days ago
- I'm seeing a lot of fashionably dressed ducks in my timeline. Have been googling 'is it ok to dress up a duck' 'is… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- People who speed in their cars need to realise there are heaps of far cooler things you could do really fast. Chop… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- When Jerry is displeased by the food being offered for dinner he literally SPRINTS away from the bowl with his ears… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago